As a makeup artist I get alot of questions about what to do about puffy eyes and what causes it and of course what can be done.
The appearance of puffiness is often due to the swelling of tissues around the eyes.
Excess salt intake
Pregnancy (caused by edema)
Thyroid disease ( which I have Graves Disease, so I know)
Too much or not enough sleep ( also guilty of this )
Hormonal changes during menstration
Tobacco & Alcohol consumption
Normal Aging - loose skin around the eyes
Lets talk about the last one, this is another type of puffiness which is caused by loose skin and excess fat as opposed to swollen tissue. The collagen breakdown of the layer of tissue that holds the fat in your eyes will weaken and will cause sagging and dropping.
Temporary ways to reduce puffiness caused by swollen tissue:
- Cut out tobacco completely
- Use cool compresses that will contrict your blood vessels & prevent the flow of fluid into the tissues.
- Use Tea bags, place at least 2 used bags in the fridge once they are cool, place on your closed lids for about 15 or 20 mins.
- Also chamomile tea is great it contains natural anti-inflammatories that reduce swelling.
- Very important drink lots of water, this will flush out any excess salt & toxins like alcohol and tobacco (which u should have cut out already)
- Cucumbers are great to use as cool compress to reduce puffiness. Place on closed lids for about 15-30 mins.
- Most important to me, get lots of rest, keep your head elevated if possible during sleep, sleep on your back so fluid doesn't flow into your face.
- Lastly avoid drinking fluids at bedtime, eating salty food, and staying up all night.
Other causes of puffy eyes:
Crying, the salt in your tears can cause fluid retention
Skin disorders such as dermititis
Hope this was helpful to some of you, Stay healthy and keep those eyes de-puffed :)
Click on the link make $
Ivette AKA girlcanpaint is a freelance Makeup Artist in the tri-state area. You will find product reviews, Look of the day, makeup tutorials and more here on her blog. You will also find links to her Youtube channel, twitter & facebook so don't miss out. Leave your comments and also tell me what you want to see more of.